“I was just about to mail you right now…”

…is such a pathetic excuse we (or at least, I) get from co-workers, subordinates and even the management sometimes that we completely ignore the real significance of this remarkable coincidence.
Mostly I just think, “Yeah right, so what else is new” before moving on to the actual topic of the call or email which is usually just as mundane as everything else at work.

This evening however was when I really found out the reality of this phrase in a rather delightful way. While I was having lunch this afternoon I thought I’d mail an old friend of mine who I hadn’t heard from in quite some time.

Now the trouble is, getting back in contact with people you’ve been out of touch with for a while, kinda feels awkward at times because you don’t really know what to say or how much to write.

It was with these confused thoughts that I logged into my Gmail this evening – and found to my delightful surprise, that I had an email from her just an hour ago, making it the first of all items in my inbox.

It wasn’t too long or complicated; just a “hi-its-been-a-long-time-so-just-getting-back-in-touch” mail that is guaranteed to put a smile on anyone’s face; especially when you were just about to mail them at that time.

I quickly read through it, and then started off my reply with,
“Hi, I was just about to mail you right now…”

And then I paused.

There's really no way anyone can understand what that statement actually means, is there?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

agreed!

Vignesh Chandraprakash said...

now i am thinking of an alterate excuse other than “I was just about to call you right now…”

Mohammed Musthafa said...

lol..really true...another version my mom uses...i was jus about to call u! sounds untrue everytime! nice post!

Intern said...

What a pleasant co-incidence :D,

-=A.R.N.=- said...

@thepinkorchid
:)

@Vignesh
truth finally out, is it? :D

@Mohammed Musthafa
Na...your mom probably was gonna call I'd guess

@Shimmer
Yeah, great isn't it?
And welcome to The Square Circle.

Mohammed Musthafa said...

hey...

thought you'd like to read this post...it's the best i've written so far...

http://laptopdiary.blogspot.com/2009/02/just-bat-and-ball.html

and also....cud you blogroll me as well?

Razzer said...

Lol. I'm sure it happens...but only if u let it happen to u..over n over..
But then again..takeing it in stride is an attitude by itself.
Iloved ur blog. Ill visit u more.
Anand. :-)

-=A.R.N.=- said...

@Anand
Hey hi!
Thx for dropping by as well.