Achievements ‘09

Yes I know this post quite late, at least a week overdue; and that I also have a load of catching up to do – comments to respond to; blogs to read; facebook to…well, look at; RSS feeds to read and so on – but I just thought I’d do this today since I’m snowed in this weekend (over 10cm of snow here and more storm warnings on the way)

I’d like to think of each year as a milestone gone by, to think back and look at all the things – right and wrong – done over the past year with a view to do things better in the future. So let’s get started:

First of, come 19th of Jan and it would be exactly a year since The Square Circle first got online (Click here for the pilot post). Before this, we were called “Random Thoughts” and looking back I think it really has come quite a way since that old blogger template.

Late winter and toward the start of spring, I saw a couple of new countries when I caught a trip to Rome, Italy and Brussels, Belgium (which I wrote about here and here).

This was also the time I became an uncle for the first time in my life when my cute little niece Nahla came into the world. Okay, so maybe it wasn’t exactly an ‘achievement’ on my part but then I realized how much more there is to life.

Spring was exceptionally good in purely physical terms as well, and that’s when I also started going out for runs and workouts (believe it or not, there’s actually a parallel bar in the middle of the woods near my place!)

Towards the start of summer, I timed-out for a two week trip to India – caught up with old friends, went to a wedding, realized divorces DO happen in real life, and came back to Frankfurt much wiser to the ways of a mature world.

In July, I landed myself my shiny new laptop, a whole bunch of games, new software (windows7 pre-ordered!) and other geek stuff that make me go wild.

August was when I finally realized how much time I was wasting on online forums after this incident, decided to quit and do something useful.
And I guess it did pay off, its surprising how much of Qur’an you can memorize in a short period of time.

Autumn was beautiful, and it was Ramadan, and it was a wonderful time – the only thing I missed was friends and family on Eid at the end of it; but then we can’t have everything every time can we?

And then coming to the start of this winter, the past couple of months have been quite busy – both at work (where we’ve had some major chaos) but more importantly, because of an interesting development in my personal life that has completely changed the way I look at the word ‘relationship’.
This is the kind of stuff that makes you want to hum and sing and smile for no reason at all and is actually the main reason for my lack of blog-ability the past couple of months!

Yes, I know what you’re thinking and it is true, and I promise a detailed post on this as soon as I can; and I still can’t stop smiling :)

All in all, I would like to look back and say 2009 was quite a successful year, and I’m only looking forward to more excitement in the coming months and for the rest of the year.

15 comments:

Intern said...

Well, I think my achievements the previous year were greater, (muahahahaha :P)

you became an uncle for the first time :D, thats sweet. My neice was born a year earlier, a pity that I only got to see her a yr later :(
yay! on getting a shiny new laptop
and...
Congrats!! :D on the fact that makes you hum, sing and smile for no reason :D

-=A.R.N.=- said...

@Shimmer

I'm sure they were...my life isn't all that exciting;
but I'm hoping that's gonna change real soon...
:D

Jaffer said...

You are snowed-in in 10cm of snow ! (Laughing)
But it seems that you folks in Germany have taken this snowfall in good spirits.
Here in Canada - you don't see anybody throw even a snowball ! Snow has become 'part of life'.

Congratulations on all your achievements and congratulations again - may Allah fill your life with love with lots of love, patience and happiness and may He bless you immensely Ameen.

Sheeraz Ahamed Khateeb said...

2 things abt this post!!!

1. I never knew that u quit online forums and u came in to such a conclusion!!

2. I liked the way you mentioned abt u got engaged!!

Cheers.... All the best for new life ahead

Dhanya said...

Finally you mention it ;) Looking for the bigger post now :D

Happy New Year!

-=A.R.N.=- said...

@Jaffer
I guess it was maybe like 13cm?
C'mon dude, we're not used to seeing snow like this here - but you're right that a lot of ppl are taking this in good spirits:
just yesterday I saw this guy in full skiing gear....out on the streets right outside my house!

And jazakAllah for your duas; Ameen to that!

-=A.R.N.=- said...

@Sheeraz
Yeah that was like a few months ago...I was online nearly 18hrs a day on a couple of forums (including at work!); I'm really glad I quit that.

@Dhanya.
And I hope I don't disappoint you!
:D

A New Beginning said...

:) you know its beautiful how life changes its course, we are swept by its flow and find ourselves where we always wanted to be!
Congrats for all your achievements and May Allah bless you with loads of peace, love and happiness..Amen
I've never seen snow, though I wish to, so I can't exactly understand how it must be feelinf..but ceratin thoughts keep you warm for they have a promise for a beautiful future ahead..isn't it :)

Anonymous said...

i LIKE YOUR NIECE'S NAME, NAHLA, VERY SWEET~~

And yeah, you can memorize Al-Quran in a short period of time, if you are full concentrated on it :)

Nice post and yeah, me too waiting for that 'BIG POST' ;)

-=A.R.N.=- said...

@Princess Nuchu

hey there princess, and welcome to The Square Circle.
Yeah, I really like the name "Nahla" too :)

Just curious...how much of Qur'an do you know by heart?

Unknown said...

now thats a perfect 'All is well' situations...
And waiting hear more about the last part :)

Anonymous said...

@ARN : Well, in madrasa , for examz we used to memorize big,small surahs in a short period of time.. i meant that..

I know pretty much. like around 30 surahs, including both big, small..

Insha allah, i have to memorize a lot soon, i had plan before.. now lazy, working some more.. so no time.

I know these excuses wont be accepted there!

Insha allah, let's see..

What about you, bro??

-=A.R.N.=- said...

@issam
Soon to receive an Email from me on that!
:D

@princess Nuchu
around 35 I believe (all of them smallish)
..and then it gets tough.

Anonymous said...

:)) good Good!! Insha allah, then we have to plan on memorizing more soon along with the meaning!! Insha allah!

-=A.R.N.=- said...

@Sana
Actually I'm not sure how I missed your comment...sorry!

JazakAllah khair for your duas; and yes, snow is quite a beautiful thing to see...as long as you long at it from your window with a warm cup in your hands :)

Life sweeps by us all!

@Princess nuchu
I think the easiest way is via audio...putting my iPod to some good use.
Also helps to have a Qur'an app on your phone!